Well, here it is – the talk I ended up giving in Tasmania. It wasn’t quite the doozy I was hoping for and as always my nerves got the better of me, but it seemed to go down well if the after talk discussion is anything to go by.
Some URLS I picked up at the conference
- Exile – Black and white made in Tasmania
- Pemulwuy – About the NSW wars
- Henry Reynolds – Fate of a Free People
- Richard Flannagan – The Unknown Terrorist
- Richard Florida – The Creative Class
- Look up Ireland’s plain English initiative
- Look up Meyer’s Key Competencies
- French have a large RPL system
- Too many cooks
- Free education – where did all the money go?
- Industrial training for a post industrial age
- Ecological (and to a large extent social) sustainability totally absent from the dialog
- The new speak – participation vs in work
- Enterprise vs education institution
- Survey of Tas Innovation
- Measuring firms of 5 or more likely misses Tasmania’s largest industry (small business)
- Small business would likey be the more innovative sector (tourism, design, culture, entertainment, media production, architects, politicians, NGOs, RTOs, volunteers)
- What is innovation to the survey?
- Does it include adoption of computers and digital inormation systems? Is that innovation?
- Misses the brain that has already drained from Tasmania